Thursday, May 6, 2010

Blood Orange Experiment

I was in the local Asian supermarket yesterday, and along with the lemons and limes I was there for I picked up a few blood oranges, figuring that with the weather getting warmer I might play around with some summer-type drinks. Here’s what I came up with…

Blood Island
1 ½ oz. freshly-squeezed blood orange juice
½ oz. freshly-squeezed lime juice
1 ½ oz. white rum (Oronoco)
1 oz. triple sec (Patron Citronge)
1 oz. dark rum (Gosling Black Seal)

Shake all but the dark rum with ice and pour, ice and all, into a chilled goblet. Float dark rum on top and serve with sip straws.

It’s boozy and tart, sweet enough to be refreshing on a hot day but not cloying. It also has 3 ½ oz. of 80-proof liquor in it, and it can have even more alcohol if you choose an overproof rum for the float, so it packs a wallop… Plus, the color is great thanks to the blood oranges – with an appropriately over-the-top garnish it would look like most people’s idea of a tropical drink. I’m thinking a blood orange wheel and mint sprig, with a plastic monkey or two. The name is a nod to the Eddie Romero movies that I hold dear to my heart (Brides of Blood, Mad Doctor of Blood Island, Beast of Blood, etc.).

I don’t try to create new drinks all that often, and when I do they tend to be along the lines of this one – simple adjustments to classic recipes. The Blood Island is just a 3:2:1 sour with added juice and a dark rum float. I’d be interested to hear what you think in the comments.

share

No comments:

Post a Comment