Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Weeski Cocktail

A quick one today – the unfortunately named

Weeski Cocktail
Created by Dave Wondrich
2 oz. Irish whiskey
1 oz. Lillet
1 tsp. Cointreau
2 dashes orange bitters

Stir with ice and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a lemon twist, or do as I do and twist an orange peel over the drink and discard (see below).

I like to add a dash of Fee Brother’s peach bitters and twist a strip of orange peel over the surface of the drink to release the oils, then run the peel along the rim of the glass to deposit some more of those lovely oils before discarding it.

I used Paddy Irish whiskey and Regan’s orange bitters, and as such this is a fantastic cocktail. Bushmills is my regular sipping Irish, and the Weeski is a great drink with that too, but I think the Paddy really pushes it over the edge into classic territory. I still prefer Bushmills for sipping neat, however.

I’ve been mostly unimpressed with previous Irish whiskey cocktails I’ve tried – even the good ones leave me thinking that I’d prefer to just drink the whiskey neat. The Weeski is the first to change that position. I could happily drink this any time. I can even forgive it for being named "Weeski..."


share

No comments:

Post a Comment